Monday, September 6, 2010

Week Two

During this week, I learned a lot about collaboration from observing the 5th grade teachers' team meetings. The teachers had to work on slimming down the list of students in the Reteach classes to 40. They discussed various techniques, like using Word Lists to determine placement. The teachers also had to work on the R&R program at the school and figure out what to write in the letter to parents. Other topics included fundraisers, field trips, and rewards for the R&R program.

I've noticed that a lot of the students in my afternoon class ask for help on their work. I'm glad to help them when they are struggling, but I'm also afraid that I'm becoming a crutch for them. Many times all I do is read the directions back to them, and then they say, "Oh, now I got it." I want them to take the time to try it themselves before I help them.

My mentor teacher and I have been working on a seating chart for the students. The morning class has been behaving well, but the afternoon class is having difficulty with talking and off-task behavior. I've been teaching a little bit in the afternoon from my mentor teacher's lesson plans, and I think one of my weaknesses is classroom management. I'm hoping to learn some new classroom management techniques from my mentor teacher.

1 comment:

  1. The line between helping and enabling can be tricky. What if you were to say, "Do the very best you can to figure out the directions for yourself first. Then you raise your hand if you're still stuck."

    ReplyDelete