Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week Three

One of the biggest issues I'm noticing is absences; five students were absent one day. This issue isn't just limited to the 5th grade. The other interns and I attended a community presentation on the alarming dropout rate in Taylor County. They are 2nd in West Virginia for highest number of dropouts. The judge who presented stated that it starts with absences in the lower grades, and students get the mindset that school isn't important. The teachers and community are pulling together to implement programs to stop this problem. I'm hoping that I can help in any way by focusing on student motivation to attend school in the class I'm working with.

I'm still thinking about my action research project, but I like the idea of using cooperative learning somehow. The students in my morning class are always wanting to work together and help each other with work. They have offered to explain directions to a neighbor when I'm helping another student. I think these students could benefit from cooperative learning and group work. In my afternoon class, the students seem a little more hesitant to work with each other, but this class struggles the most with absences. I might look into the motivational aspect to encourage these kids to attend school.

1 comment:

  1. Knowing what your action research project is turning out to be, I wonder if student attendance will rise if students get excited about reading. I would think it would, but it would be fabulous if you could see a connection that you could demonstrate.

    ReplyDelete